Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Refections on the Adelaide Test

I have been an England fan for as long as I can remember. I have been hooked on watching my team play ever since I thought an over meant the number of times the ball went over the wicket. If GK Chesterton's "Great Scorer" exists then I will be an England fan for eternity. So it will take more than one humiliating defeat to make me indifferent.

I have supported this England team through the truly dark days; I was there at the Oval when defeat against New Zealand made us officially the worst team in the world. So why are the journalists describing this as one of the worst England defeats? It is because after two days it all looked so promising. As John Cleese's character said in the film Clockwise "I can handle the despair, it's the hope I can't stand."

The England Selectors should avoid scapegoats or otherwise the tour will turn into a rout. A full review can come later, in the meantime Panesar must be selected, probably in the place of Anderson, but the backbone of the team must remain the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you I would certainly appoint Strauss for the rest of the series, he could remind the team that the situation is desperate but not yet hopeless.

The problem with making a bowler captain is that he will never bowl himself at the right time. How often did Vaughan let Flintoff open the bowling?

Let's really embarrass the selectors and vote in Monty Panesar for BBC Sports Personality!

7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home