Saturday, August 05, 2006

Is This Really Headingley?

Before this test match started I tried to recall what usually happens at Headingley. My memory told me that scores over 300 are rare and providing the weather doesn't intervene, a result is inevitable.

England made 515 and Pakistan are currently 202-2 in reply and a draw is the most likely result.

I also recalled that it is a pitch which favours medium pace swing and seam bowlers. Neil Mallender won the match for England here in 1992, only to be unceremoniously dropped after struggling on a good Oval pitch; he was never selected again. It is a suprise then that, whilst all bowlers have found wickets hard to come by, it is the spinners who have had the most control and the best economy rates.

I now expect that the Oval will provide a slow turning pitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home